Frequently Asked Questions


How long is my Firearms Licence good for?
A Firearms Licence is valid for a period of five years, unless revoked. Each Firearms Licence has an expiry date on it.

Do I have to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) if I only want to acquire restricted firearms?
Yes. In order to obtain a PAL for restricted firearms, you must successfully complete both the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC).

Do I have to redo both the written and practical portions of the CFSC or the CRFSC test if I fail either the written or practical test?
Yes. The tests consist of both the written and practical components. You must achieve 80% or better on both in order to successfully complete the CFSC / CRFSC test. If an individual fails either the written or practical test, they must complete both again.

How much time do I have to take the test after completing the CFSC/CRFSC course?
The test can be taken at any time following the completion of the course.

I've applied for a Firearms Licence and I received a letter from the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program asking for proof that I completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test. I completed a test when I received my Ontario Hunting Licence. Is this the test they are talking about?
No. The Hunter Education test is a provincial test for a provincial hunting licence. You are required to show proof of completion of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test in order to get your Federal Firearms Licence.

I am a visitor to Canada. Do I need a Firearms Licence?
Yes. Starting January 1, 2001, non-residents are required to possess a Firearms Licence to import (restricted and non-restricted firearms) or to borrow (non-restricted firearms only), and to acquire ammunition. For individuals who bring their own firearms into Canada, a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration ( form JUS 909 EF ) will serve as a licence and registration for those firearms indicated on the JUS 909 EF Declaration Form.
Individuals who temporarily bring firearms to Canada must declare their firearms in writing using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form (form JUS 909 EF). Once a Customs Officer has confirmed the declaration and issued a confirmation number, the declaration form will serve as a licence and registration certificate, showing that the visitor is in legal possession of the firearm(s).
A confirmed declaration costs $25 Canadian, and is valid for up to 60 days.

As a visitor to Canada, can I borrow a firearm for use in Canada?
Visitors, whether adults or minors, do not need a licence to borrow a firearm if they only use it under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult who can lawfully possess that firearm and has a Canadian Firearms Licence. Contact the CFO of the province where you wish to use the firearm to determine the exact stipulations for this option.
Otherwise, visitors aged 18 and older need either a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for non-residents)(form JUS 715 EF) or a valid Canadian Firearms Licence that allows them to acquire firearms. A Non-Resident Temporary Borrowing Licence costs $30 Canadian. It can be renewed once if it is renewed before it expires. Any additional renewals will cost $30. A sponsor may apply on behalf of a non-resident for the Non-Resident temporary Borrowing Licence.

I am a non-resident, but want a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). How do I get a Possession and Acquisition Licence?
Non-residents can apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence. They must be 18 years of age or older; they must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and test; and they must provide a letter or document from their local Police Service/Government which provides a completed NCIC check. Once they have the necessary documentation, they need to fill in an application, attach the documents, and send it to the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

Where can I get a Minors Licence application form?
Please call the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario.

How do I replace a lost, stolen or damaged registration certificate?
You can contact the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario at 1-800-731-4000. Give them the information regarding the loss, theft or damage to your certificate. You will be required to complete a form which the CFO will process and a replacement certificate will be issued. There is a fee for this service.

The Firearms Registry law was repealed in April 2012. What does this mean for me if I wish to obtain a firearm or currently own firearms?
There is no longer a requirement for you to "register" your non-restricted firearm/s with the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program and have your personal information collected and stored in a firearms data base. You are still required however to register any restricted firearms. You are also still required to obtain a firearms licence to purchase, possess, own or borrow a firearm. The licence is called a P.A.L. To obtain your P.A.L .you must successfully pass a Canadian Firearms Safety Course and/or a Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course and the exams to either course. To obtain additional information on Bill C19, the Act that repeals the firearms registry requirements of the Firearms Act please go to the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf

The information in this website is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to
the Firearms Act and its Regulations. Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Instructor Portal

FSESO Instructors may access an Instructors Only website and perform tasks such as Adding a Course and Updating Your Profile. Click on the Portal Log In button to get to the FSESO Instructor Site.

FSESO Instructor Only Login Portal

Study Manuals

The new study manual is available. It includes both the Canadian Firearm Safety Course and Canadian  Restricted Firearm Safety Course  material. 

Find FSESO Study Manuals Here


Courses and Fees

Each province has its own delivery method for the Canadian Firearms Safety Courses. In Ontario, each instructor / examiner delivers the course directly to the public.

Find FSESO Courses and Fee Information Here

Royal Canadian Mounted Police